Not sure where the inspiration for this came from… Was probably from @tifdownunder picking on @parmadaze about eating too much parma… And her being American.. and somehow the idea of doing a souther style chicken parma grew in my head… Yeah I’m weird like that….
- About 500g of Chicken, I used Thighs.. I know… Not exactly a parma cut but oh so tasty
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1tsp of oregano
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 tbs of Thyme
- 1 tbs of ground ginger
- 1/2 tbs of basil
- 1 tbs of Celery salt
- 1 tbs of black pepper
- 1 tbs of dry mustard
- 4 tbs of paprika
- Cornflake crumbs
- Ham slices
- Bertoli Parma Sauce
- Grated Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups of milk
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Grease an oven proof dish
- In a bowl, combine all the herb’s and spices
- In a second bowl place a good wack of the cornflake crumbs
- In a third bowl beat the egg then mix in the milk.
- Place the chicken in the egg mixture and ensure it is well soaked
- Then dip it in the crumbs, then again in to the spices ensuring that it is well covered.
- Place chicken in greased oven tray.
- Repeat until all the chicken is done.
- Cover the grease proof dish with foil and bake for about 30 min, remove the foil, and then for a further 20-30 minutes.
- Fire up the grill.
- Take chicken and place on a plate that can go in the grill, cover with ham, parma sauce and cheese and grill until cheese has browned.
Serve with a good IPA :)
Cooking times vary depending on the chicken you use. Thighs are much thinner then breast so obviously cook quicker. The bertoli parma sauce actually had a decent flavour for a jar based pasta/simmer sauce. And I do love the flavour/texture of the cornflake crumbs over standard breadcrumbs, no reason you can used whatever sauce or crumbs you like :D
The original recipe I stole the dry mix from also called for MSG, I couldnt find any at my local supermarket and I’m not sure I care, or that it needs it. But if you want to add it, its 2tbs of MSG.